Hi, We did research on this with our dietician about a year ago as well. What she was able to find out is that they can guarentee that 80% of the sucrose is not absorbed from it being chemically altered. However that leaves the 20% of sucrose that they cant guarentee for our kids meaning then that breaks down to 10% fructose of course. We have allowed Splenda for our daughter in very very small amounts simply because they are using this in far more things now than ever before very effectively limiting her diet more than it already was! However we judge this on how well she is doing at the time if she can tolerate even this small amount. Just food for thought so you know exactly what you are dealing with. 80% guarenteed not absorbed 20% possibly absorbed.
We tried Splenda one time. It made my daughter sick, so we now avoid it altogether. One thing to note, though, Diet Coke now contains Splenda. Diet Pepsi is still ok, and according to their web-site answered e-mail, they are not going to change it since they have one product with it (pepsi one). Makes us a Pepsi family all the way.